Tuesday 20 November 2012

Bathers: Alison pattern part 2

PART TWO!

And so the sewing continued, long into the night. Not really. I never sew at night. It does my eyes in. It did indeed take a while to finish sewing my bathers, as it involved learning to thread an overlocker, borrowing overlocker, a holiday, and who knows what else. BUT they are done! YAYAYAYAYAYYA. And they even fit (sorry spoiler alert right there).

So the rest of the instruction are:

4. Sew gathering threads up the sides of the bust piece. ( as shown in picture below) I did seperate ones on the back half (facing), and front. And from the fold, to the curve. This seemed to work ok.

5. Tack bust piece into bathers, right sides together, with centre tab. (I shortened mine about 3cm). Overlock together. (I tried on my bathers before i overlocked, and established the width at the top of the body of my bathers was too wide, so i sewed in a bit closer. This is a good stage to try on, because changes can still be made.)

6. Overlock around the edges of the leg holes, and the main body, attaching the lining to the outside fabric.
7. Try on again, and attach the staps in the desired spots (use safty pins). My staps were barely long enough, but due to lack of fabric, I made do, and it just fits. And just is good enough when it comes to bathers. (The main body fabric ended up quite gathered, and the band looked normal, but when on, the main body fabric stretched to normal, and the band stretched, so that you get no gaps)
8. Fold over leg holes (like you are doing a hem) and zig zag around the edge. You can overlock elastic into your leg holes, but mine were tight enough, that hopefully they won't cause me any trouble.


9. Stretch band and sew (zig zag) with right side together around the top of the body. This means that the lining is now fully attached, and no longer can be seen from the outside of the bathers.



 10. Try them on again. and hope that they still fit.


I hope this doesn't look too daunting, I think it feels it, but it is fun, and in the end, only a couple of dollars of fabric wasted if it doesn't turn out! It doesn't hurt to try in the end! :D

~Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment