Monday 19 November 2012

Bathers: Alison pattern

I know. I'm mad. My mum told me this when I mentioned I was planning on sewing my own bathers. But hey, I'm adventurous, and am know to pull things off, as well as ruin things completely sometimes.... So I guess we'll just see how I go.

I found the bathers I wanted. Of course I chose the pair with the least amount of instructions ever. There are some written instructions, but I'm a visual person through and through.

So I went for it. I read a lot of blogs on how to sew bathers. On what was wrong with the pattern I chose... and many more as well. I daftly cut out my pattern (which was an adventure in itself, as I'd never had to pay attention to pattern before, and this one had a symmetrical pattern on it, that would look best if centered!) So place and cut I did. I even managed to buy enough fabric. I was so pleased with myself. I then decided I didn't have enough to line it with the same fabric. I then inspected my other bathers, and the lining is actually quite different to lycra. Sort of a mesh type thing. So to Spotlight goes Liz. "Do you stock swimwear lining?" was my question. "No" was there answer. They kindly showed me the lycra section..... I went searching and found the dance wear lining section. It was what I wanted. (and I'd read earlier that day that swimwear fabric consists of 80-90% nylon, and 10-20% spandex). This was 90% nylon, and 10% spandex, so it suited me perfectly! YAY. (see big weave)



I was so happy I forgot to look at bra cups, and stretch needles. But I'll go back one day and get them. In the meantime it is deciphering patterns, and tacking things in place!

Oh, This is the pattern I decided to use: Alison, by Burdastyle. You can download it online. (only $3, but not really worth $3, when you have to do so much researching into how to actually sew it!) (apparently it used to be free)

So this is what I have done so far!

(Day 1 and 2)

Cut out pattern pieces.
Front: 1 fabric, 1 lining
Back: 1 fabric, 1 lining
Crotch: 1 fabric, 1 lining (yes this is the weirdest shape ever, and i'll let you know how it works, and what I'll change)
Center Fold Insert: 1 fabric
Strap (long): 2 fabric.
Back strap: none (I intend on doing cross over straps)
Un-named piece: 1 fabric (this piece is actually the tab that goes around the bust piece I think)



1. Pin side seams of front and back together, right sides together, of both fabric and lining separately. Tack.
2. Pin crotch piece to back, then front, with right sides together. You'll have to ease them onto each other, as  you'll be attaching a concave curve onto a convex one. Do this for the fabric, and the lining. Tack.
3. Overlock all tacked seams, so far. (overlocking will create a more secure seam, and leave less bulk than sewing with a regular zig-zag or similar, and then trimming)

Here are some photos of my fabric and what it looks like so far. (minus overlocking)



Wow... that was a lot of writing, for so little information! 

And tomorrow I'll give you the rest of what I did. And the finished product! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment