Monday 22 October 2012

Summer staples

Well, actually maybe the staples of life!

I finally got around to using some of my stash of fabric, turning it into some t-shirts. Seeing as I don't own an overlocker, it was a little more creative sewing than your average t-shirt. But they turned out super. I can tell, because so often when I go looking to wear them I find that they are in the washing pile. So either I wear them often, or I don't do my washing often enough!? (Is both an answer?)

I traced around an old tshirt that I like, and know how it fits, and adjusted it as I cut. This tshirt has no sleeves, so bargain easy! :D
I cut it on the fold, with the t-shirt also folded in half, cutting out the front, and then the back, as the front and back pieces are not the same.

I sewed the shoulders together, then the sides. (I sewed it using a stretch straight stitch). Adjusted any hems and sleeves that didn't match in length with a pair of scissors, and hemmed with a zig-zag stitch. I also folded 5mm over and zig-zagged around the sleeves, and neck. The joy of sewing with stetch fabric is that is won't fray! YAY.

 And this is what they turned out like:


I definately plan on making more. Who says you can't fill your wardrobe with one cut of tshirt!
~Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment